Friday, December 16, 2011

Life can be embarrassing

So, as you know, life can be embarrassing.  On tuesday, Deb and I attended a Missionary Zone conference with about 75 other Mormon missionaries including 4 other senior couples, the Mission President and his wife.  Deb and I were asked to speak.  Deb went first and did a fine job.  My talk started well but ended with the sound of cars crashing and ambulances racing.  I was testifying in German and said, "Ich weiss Thomas S. Monson ubersetz das buch Mormon deshalb das Buch Mormon das wort Gottes ist." In English: I believe Thomas S. Monson translated the Book of Mormon thats why the Book of Mormon is the word of God.  The only trouble with all this is Mormons believe Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon in the 1820's about 190 years ago.  Thomas S. Monson, our current Prophet is an old guy but he wasn't around in the 1820's.  And, of course the joke was on me because I didn't know what I said.  So 65 19 to 21 year olds laughed at me and I had no idea why until Deb told me what I said.  Oh well, I guess President Monson could have translated the Book of Mormon but he did't have to because Joseph Smith did it for him.
Tonight we cooked for and attended the young adult Christmas party.  About 50 jungen menchen attended.  It was fun and spiritual.  We sang several songs in German.  The Americans in the crowd were asked to sing Rudolph.  8 of us stood proudly and belted out a rousting chorus including the new in between lyrics.  The German kids loved like a light bub, fudge face and monopoly.
Nadir, who joined the church a little over a year ago received his mission call.  In April, he will serve London, England.  What a great time to be in London with the Olympics that summer.  Nadir is 19 years old, speaks great English, and is a wonderful young man.  He'll make a fine missionary.  He had the letter from President Monson, yes that President Monson. for 2 days but wanted to read it at the party.  He opened the large envelope, pulled out some papers.  He read and read and read but it didn't say where he would serve.  Some of the returned Missionaries knew the first page always tells where the Missionary will be assigned.  One of them grabbed the envelope from Nadir and discovered the missing cover letter with the mission assignment still in the envelope.  He didn't take it out of the envelope.  So this time the joke was on him.  He then proceeded to read his call.
Taking the train on Friday to a smal German town about 2 hours northwest of Berlin with the other missionaries to carol in the town..  It may snow.  I'll let you know how it goes.
Frohe Weihnacten. Dan and Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment