Last night was our first New Year in Germany. We had heard it would be loud with fireworks at midnight. What we didn't expect was how LOUD it was or how long it lasted. Fireworks are legal here and not just the safe and sane ones. They have more powerful and dangerous fireworks here. They started about 1800 and kept on going most of the night. The really big fireworks are smuggled in from Poland. I still heard a few "loud bangs" when I got up this morning. We stood out on the balcony and watched the fireworks over the Brandenburg Gate. This was the official show. As you looked around the skyline, there were firework shows everywhere. People on the balcony above us were shooting off big loud fireworks. The vibrations shook the balcony we were standing on. The loud noise caused ringing in our ears and gave us headaches. Finally about 2430 we went inside and tried to go to bed. With the help of earplugs, I managed to fall asleep. It was a New Years like we've never experienced before.
We went to church on New Years Day. The heat in the church building was not working and it was 5*C outside. We sat through Sacrament meeting in our warm coats and gloves. The Bishop canceled the rest of the meetings due to cold. The mechanic came and got the heat working after most everyone hd left. We had a YSA brunch planned after church so we went ahead with it. We had 16 people there. Everyone brought something to share. I was assigned to make "American" pancakes. Everyone ate them up fast. I also made buttermilk syurp for them. We will use the left over syurp for ice cream topping tomorrow night at FHE.
We wish all of you a very "Frohes Neues Jahr". Love, Dan and Deb
No comments:
Post a Comment