Sunday, June 3, 2012

May the spirit be with You...

Last Sunday night we attended a fireside with the other missionaries in Lankwitz.  It was a wonderful fireside, but the real story happened on the way home.  A bunch of us missionaries headed home on the
S-Bahn at 2130.  About half way home, 5 drunk young men got on the train and sat near us.  We were down to 4 Sisters and 6 Elders by then, several of the Elders having exited the train.  Of course, the skinniest, punkiest of the drunks began yelling at us.  Why is it that the little guys always get tough when they are covered by bigger friends.  One of the Elders started talking to the skinny punk.  I don't know what was said because it was in normal speed German, which is too fast for me to understand.  The skinny punk yelled some more and the cop in me came out and I started to get involved even though I don't speak normal speed German.

But then, my new hero stepped in and saved the day.  She prevented a bad situation from getting worse.  Sis Svoboda is from Switzerland.  She is a tremendous missionary.  She got up and stepped into the group of 5 young punky men and calmly handed each on a Mormon information card we call pass along cards.  She saved the little guy for last.  She handed him a card and then stood and stared at him for what seemed like an hour.  she asked if he had any questions about our church.  He quieted down, not knowing what to do as this confident Missionary calmly and peacefully explained the gospel to him.  Then she walked back to her seat and sat down.  I was as proud as proud could be.  You Rock Sister!  There were no more problems and a few stops later we got off the train without any more incidents.  President, you will be happy to know I didn't hit anyone but I sure wanted to.  Instead a fine Sister taught me lesson about faith and the spirit.

Dan in Berlin



No comments:

Post a Comment