Friday, February 8, 2013

Museum of Naturkunde (Natural History)

Today we went to the Museum for Natural History.  What a neat place.  I wish we had taken little Bob there when he came to visit.  The theme for the museum is "The Evolution of the Earth and Life on it".


One of the highlights of the museum is the dinosaur exhibit.  The dinosaur hall has been redesigned to focus on the habitat of dinosaurs in the Tendaguru area in East Africa 150 million years ago.  The central exhibit is the largest mounted dinosaur skeleton in the world, Brachiosaurus brancal.  It has a height o 13.27 m(43 1/2 ft).  The original of the famous Berlin specimen of the primeval bird Archaeopteryx lithographica, discovered in Bavaria in 1876 is also on display. 

There are sections about the cosmos and the Solar System,  The Earth, Minerals, Birds, Animals, and Insects.  All were very interesting.  I think we even saw the spider that ate Dan!  There is a large Wet Collections Room.  It consists of 276,000 vials containing over 1 million animals stored in ethanol.  I have never seen so many bottles of "things". 

No comments:

Post a Comment