Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Driving to Normandy

We rented a car in Amsterdam and drove to Normandy, France.  It took about 8 hours to get there.  Along the way the scenery is wonderful, especially the French countryside.  Everything is so green.  as we drove through the Netherlands, Belgium, and France, we learned a bit about driving the roads in different countries.  No one marks their speed limit with signs very often.  It was a good thing the GPS we bought to take with us told us the speed.  Belgium has many speed cameras.  They are mostly in the city areas of the roadways we were on.  Many times the speed changed for no reason, and then a speed camera would come along.  The GPS unit would make a funny noise and we would know the camera was coming.  Once we got to France there were not as many speed cameras there.  France has mostly all toll roads.  We spent about 30 euros for tolls each way driving in France.  There are very few free roads in France.  The morning we left Normandy to return to Amsterdam, we let early.  I was driving and it was still dark.  The speed had changed and I had slowed to the new speed limit.  Going down a small hill, my car picked up a little speed, but not more then 5 km/hour.  Suddenly, I caught a flash in my rear view mirror.  I don't know for sure, but I probably got a ticket for speeding ( 5-6 km over the speed limit).   It was a dark, not well lighted area at the bottom of them hill.  I guess I will find out someday if I got a ticket.  I am sure the car rental place will charge my credit card if I did. 

Driving in Amsterdam city is wacky!   I thought the roadways were nice in Amsterdam, but when you get into the actual city, NO!  The roads are narrow.  They go every which way.  Some are one way roads.  All have 100's of bicycle riders on them going every which way.  The transportation train system runs down the middle of the roads and people park along the sides.  You are suppose to figure out where to drive and when.  Sometimes you are driving on the train tacks and a train is coming towards you.  Thankfully, the trains stops and you are able to get out of the way.  I was very relieved to return the car to Hertz and walk around the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment