Friday, October 5, 2012
Teaching Basketball?!?
I had a great day yesterday. I coached basketball. I haven't done that in a few years and about 5 minutes into it I realized how big a chunk of me was tied up in being a coach. What really made my day was I coached about 25 missionaries dressed in white shirts,slacks, and athletic shoes. Most of them hadn't ever played before but were enthusiastic and tried hard. Actually, all of them tried hard.
A few days ago elder Cottriel called and asked if I would teach the Missionaries about basketball. I said yes and wondered how basketball tied into teaching about our church.
The Berlin Mission, like all missions has a structure. It is divided into zones, districts, and companionships. Each zone has zone leaders. All zone leaders were invited by Mission President Kosak to come to the Tiergarten Stake Center for a 2 day training conference. Elder Cottriel is an assistant to President Kosak. He was assigned to teach a lesson on how to teach. and so, he asked me to teach the zone leaders basketball basics. We started with the ball and the basket.
After a few minutes of explaining rules and things like how to dribble the ball, we moved to the court for demonstration and practice. We did 2 easy drills, ran up and down the court some and then played a short game. Wow, it was great to coach and teach again. I had more fun then any of the Elders and they had a great time. The idea was to demonstrate how to teach the gospel of jesus Christ. I hope I made that point to them.
Dan in Berlin, did I mention I had a great time????
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment